Today I listened to a rally by Obama and it sent chills. It sounded like shades of the old despots giving their ranting speeches that in turn stirred up the emotions of the audience, and Lord knows Obama excels at this. But more than that, it dawned on me that I really didn't hear anything new - no substance. And more than that, I figured out why his poll numbers are declining as he gives these speeches.
Obama keeps referring to "they" and "them" and "those" who are getting in the way and keeping us from progressing with health care, cap and trade and all his other programs.
I think more and more Americans - whether they consider themselves Democrats, Republicans or Independents - are starting to figure out that the "they" is them when they find themselves on the opposite side of an issue.
This is unique, because pretty much to date, presidents have rallied people to their issues, and even if they knew that quite a few folks who may not have voted for them might not want something their pushing at a particular time, Americans would always be rest assured that the President was trying to look out for the people's welfare.
When a President starts demonizing one group of people because they stand in the way of his issue, this begins the decline to eventual despotism. Once the President takes the oath of office, he is a representative of all, not a champion of some.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment